Word

Read:

Mark 4:18-19


Reflect:

I’ve always been taught that nothing is stronger than Jesus. Though this is true it seems that we (humans) have some degree of power over whether we believe it or not.

In today’s passage we hear Jesus explaining how the worries, wealth and wants of our time can strangle the word growing in our hearts. The Greek word for ‘word’ is logon which is the same word used in the creation story from John 1 (...the Word was with God, and the Word was God).

Jesus is the Word. The everlasting Word. The Word of God. Even though He is almighty, we have the ability to replace His prominence with other things like worries, wealth and wants. Or we can choose to make Him more important than any of those passing things. The Word is alive. The choice is ours.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you that you are sovereign over all created things. Please forgive me for the times I’ve allowed myself to become distracted by worries, wealth and wants. Help me to fix my eyes on you and to allow your word to grow in my heart. Amen.


Remind:

“Unless we form the habit of going to the Bible in bright moments as well as in trouble, we cannot fully respond to its consolations because we lack equilibrium between light and darkness.”

~Helen Keller~


Photo by Kiwihug on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread