Salt

Read:

Mark 9:50


Reflect:

I have a bit of a sweet tooth. Caramel is one of my absolute favourites. That’s why it was quite interesting to come across salted caramel when I moved to the UK. It wasn’t something I knew in South Africa before, so I was rather sceptical at first. Surely salt and sweet do not go together! So I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. It wasn’t bad at all! It was rather good, actually!

When Jesus tells His disciples to ‘have salt among yourselves’ (v. 50) I imagine He means to bring out the best flavours in one another. To encourage one another into greater holiness, into greater intimacy with God, into living lives that better point to and glorify God. Salt is great for enhancing all the flavours in our community, but too much salt isn’t helpful. That’s why having salt among ourselves should always be aligned with an effort to stay at peace with each other.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you that you have placed me in a community of believers. Thank you for your church and for the encouragement I find in being part of your body. Please help me to be an enhancer of faith and service, and to work toward peace and unity. Amen.


Remind:

”To be of a peaceable spirit brings peace along with it.”

~Thomas Watson~


Photo by Jason Tuinstra on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread