Merit

Read:

Mark 10:24-27


Reflect:

I always thought this passage meant that I’d be more easily saved than a rich person. That’s not true, though. In the run-up to today’s passage we find the story of the rich young man who wanted to be saved. He followed all the rules, but felt that this was still not enough. Jesus tells him to let go of his wealth, an answer that disappointed the young man. Jesus says that it’s really difficult for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God. Seemingly impossible.

What I’ve come to learn is that it’s not just money and wealth that can keep me from entering into God’s kingdom. Anything can become more important than Jesus: money, status, power, sex, work, family, religion. Every time I choose to make anything more important than God, I essentially choose not to enter God’s kingdom.

But there is always hope with God. Jesus comforts His disciples by saying that though it is impossible for people to save themselves by merit, it is not for God, because “all things are possible with God” (v. 27). May we put our trust in the Lord, and in Him alone, to save us and bring us into His kingdom.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you that salvation is not up to me to accomplish, but that you’ve already won the battle on the Cross. Please forgive me for the times I made earthly things more important than you. Please help me in your almighty power. Amen.


Remind:

“The use of means ought not to lessen our faith in God, and our faith in God ought not to hinder our using whatever means He has given us for the accomplishment of His own purposes.”

~Hudson Taylor~


Photo by Mathieu Stern on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread

Salt