Familiarity

Read:

Mark 6:4-6


Reflect:

I was asked to do the reading at an American friend’s wedding a couple of years ago. It was from Song Of Solomon and I did my utter best not to mess it up. During the reception some of the guests came up to me to say how lovely the reading was. I realised that people noticed my non-American accent. I couldn’t help but wonder if the reading would have had the same response from the locals if it was read with an American accent.

Somehow we value things more if they seem exotic or uncommon. Even Jesus experienced this in His hometown. ‘Isn’t this the carpenter? Aren’t his sisters here with us?’ (v. 3). And the result is that Jesus couldn’t do any miracles there (v.5).

When we’ve been following Jesus for a long time it can easily happen that we become so familiar with Him that we lose interest. That the truth He speaks to us becomes so familiar our ears we switch off and we miss it. That the still small voice of the Spirit gets drowned out by our limited perception of Christ and our lack of faith. May we never lose the wonder of Christ.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you that you can be known even though you are God. Forgive me for the times I have limited your work by my lack of faith and what I think you can and should do. Show me more of you that I may stand in awe of who you are and give you the glory due your name. Amen.


Remind:

“Familiarity breeds contempt.”

~English Proverb~


Photo by Greg Rakozy on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread

Worship