Solitude


Read:

Mark 1:35


Reflect:

When I was young my dad used an Afrikaans proverb that I remember to this day. Directly translated it says “the daybreak has gold in its mouth,” and it means that if you get up early, you’ll get the blessing of getting lots done. Something akin to “the early bird catches the worm.”

I must admit that I struggle to get up early. It seems that I especially struggle to get up early for two things: taking exercise and/or private devotional time.

Jesus shows us a better way. He gets up early, leaves the house and finds a solitary place to pray. It is the very first thing He does in the morning. For Jesus, spending time with His heavenly Father really is the golden blessing before the break of day.

Maybe it was the only time when He could find solitude from the crowds. Maybe He was more of a morning person than I am. Whatever the case may be, Jesus was intentional about spending time with the Father by Himself. So should we.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you for the 24 hours we have in every day. Please give me the will and opportunity to be with you by myself every day. Amen.


Remind:

"God will meet you where you are in order to take you where He wants you to go."

~Tony Evans~


Photo by Sage Friedman on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread

Salt