Fasting

Read:

Mark 2:21-22


Reflect:

As with all religious activities and traditions -however good and helpful they may be- fasting can sometimes become a badge of honour. Unhelpfully so, I think. When religious activities are more about following the rules or doing something “holy” to get something (blessing, favour, forgiveness, healing, etc.) it completely defeats the purpose. God never wanted his children to merely follow the rules, but to follow Jesus, and to walk more closely with Him every day. I am reminded of Psalm 51:16 where David recognises God’s desire for intimate relationship rather than religious offerings.

Doing religious activities for any reason other than becoming more intimate with God is about as helpful as patching old garments with unshrunk cloth, or pouring new wine into old wineskins. You’re basically trading one problem for another, solving nothing.

What God desires is you. All of you. As you are. Start there and in time you will find religious activities like fasting helpful tools in your walk with God.


Respond:

Lord Jesus, thank you that in you we have freedom to just be. Thank you for your acceptance of me as I am, but also that you love me enough not to leave me as I am. Please show me helpful ways to grow closer to you and to follow you more faithfully every day. Amen.


Remind:

“This Man (Jesus) suddenly remarks one day, 'No one need fast while I am here.' Who is this Man who remarks that His mere presence suspends all normal rules?”

~C.S. Lewis~


Photo by Volodymyr Hryshchenko on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Torn (Holy Week - Good Friday)

Bread

Salt